Saturday, January 22, 2005

Quiet

I am sitting here in the quiet of my own home. My wonderful Curt is off getting a hair cut and the Princess is napping. (Yes, at nearly 4, she still naps. And it is so good to be me!). The annoying cats are cat-napping. The soundtrack of the show my husband just got cast in is playing quietly on the stereo. It is the perfect time to write a witty and entertaining blog entry. Yet my head is as empty as the house is quiet. I have nothing in there to talk about today. How odd. I sometimes find my brain churning away and I think "oh! this would be a great subject to blog about." And now, here I sit, waiting for the snow to come, with plenty of time to write and not a single thought to put to paper. Hey, remember my talk of quilted banners that families displayed in their windows? Just a day or so after I wrote that I found one. Nearly in my own neighborhood. I was driving the Princess to school and there it was, proudly filling the front window of a small and quiet home along the road. I had planned to photograph it and post it here, but decided that might be somehow disrespectful or exploitive of their struggle. But I mentioned it to my dad. He too recalled the "gold star mothers"; a phrase coined from the banners that had turned to gold with loss. I watch that star now. I look for it each time I pass. I hope it stays constant in it's hue. I pray, for this family of strangers, that it never turns to gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home