Thursday, December 02, 2004

Oooops! My bad!

A little update on the job hunt. . . . . The day after I got blown off by my interviewer, I went and met up with some friends. I was out and about until nearly 2:00 in the afternoon. I get home. No message from Zach the asshole. I wait an hour, hoping this lovely Zach will call and redeem himself. Of course, he doesn't. The draw of the HUGE coin I could potentially make there calms me enough to call at 3:00. I spend 8 minutes being bounced around from person to person and on hold until I finally get the elusive Zach on the phone. The conversation went like this: R: Hi Zach, this is Rachel XXXX. I had an appt with you yesterday at 4. Z: Oh yeah. (short silence) R: I guess your schedule changed. Z: Yeah. R: Did they tell you I had been in? Z: Yeah. Sorry 'bout that. R: Well, I was hoping we could reschedule. Z: Can you come in tomorrow? R: Well, I have to be honest. It's very hard for me to come in during the day unless it's a Friday or a Monday. If you are working volume tonight, I could come in after your dinner rush. Z: Yeah. That'd be good. After the dinner rush tonight. R: (pause) What time then? Z: 9:00. R: OK, see you then. Do you think you could *at least* have the good sense to SOUND fucking SORRY????? I am SO freaking aggravated with this guy. The only reason I am going is because of the money I could make there. Besides, if I could survive the idiotic management at Friday's, I can survive anything, right? So I go in last night (as scheduled by him) and he spent a whole 6 or 8 minutes talking to me before asking me to come back AGAIN today at 5:00. In all fairness, the restaurant was busy last night so I could understand that. BACK I go again tonight to finally talk with the idiot...I mean, hiring manager. I get there and wait about 10 minutes for him to get to me. No problem. I know it's the beginning of the dinner shift so that's ok. He finally comes over to chat with me. Fifteen minutes into the interview, he asks me what I am looking for in terms of shifts. I tell him 3 or 4 per week. He says that they ONLY hire full time and no one works only evenings. Well, did you read my frigging application? Where I specifically put down part time? Evenings only? Silly me - this is the guy who called me in for a waitressing position when I specified bartending...so the answer there would be NO. He then tells me that I would need to work 2 lunches per week. NO WAY. I have 2 days to MYSELF when Thea is at school. There is no way in hell I am working them BOTH. He then says that the only part time people they hire are the cocktails. I ask him to tell me about that position. It's perfect. Two or three nights per week from 5pm to 1am. Great. I then tell him that I have a couple upcoming commitments, including a trip out of town from Dec 15 through 26. He says he has a problem with that; that his boss would never accept a person coming in and then going right out on vacation. And he looks at me as though he thinks I am going to say "Oh! Ok. I'll cancel." That was when I lost it. L O S T IT! And said something very close to this: Well, thank you for your time. I won't waste anymore of it. Or mine! Although, that apparently is NOT a problem for you. Two weeks of my time has been wasted by you! I'm sorry but this has been very frustrating for me. You BLEW ME OFF on Tuesday and then didn't even have the common decency to APOLOGIZE. That is outrageously unprofessional. I came in again last night and you spent a whole 6 or 8 minutes with me in which you conveyed NO information and didn't even bother to see if our schedules could work together. But that would've have been EFFECTIVE interviewing and communication ...so, well THAT would be out of the question then, wouldn't it........??? I was on my feet for most of this and halfway out the door when I *think* he said "sorry you feel that way" or something like it..... So, yeah. I told him off. Still no job here. Oh, well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home