Monday, December 06, 2004

Dipping my toes in a dangerous pool.....

What am I thinking? I live in a lovely 3 bedroom house in a lovely suburb with superb neighbors. After several mostly disastrous moves, my husband and I have decided that we are never moving again. Ever. We live in a better than average school district and were lucky enough to move into a "village" mentality neighborhood. Our neighbors watch out their windows for the well-being of the children and homes on the street. The night we moved in, my neighbor from across the street (who is now a dear friend), rang my doorbell and delivered a home made dinner with paper plates and plastic forks, etc. In the basket, there was also a list of the phone numbers of my 3 closest neighbors and the best local pizza delivery place. Needless to say, we are very happy here. However, (this is the dangerous part), I would love to add on to the house. Which is ridiculous, really. We don't NEED the room. We could really use it, yes. Thea's bedroom doesn't have a closet and is very small. The upstairs bathroom is really a closet with a toilet and sink. But can we continue to live here comfortably? Sure. But I have been thinking (fantasizing) about this for a few years. I went to lunch today with my fabulous husband, and broached the subject for the very first time. The background: We bought this house as DINKS (double income, no kids) after living in NY and paying NY rents. Fast forward five years: I am a stay-at-home-mom to an almost 4 year old. I left a significant salary, a company car, annual bonus, and stock options. We've done some serious re-arranging of the finances and are surviving on one salary. I make some play money for us by doing some part-time work waiting tables or tending bar. And my wonderful beloved said go ahead and investigate. So here I am, "investigating" and about to fuck up our delicate balance. I spoke to the bank today, the building inspector's office and emailed an architect. NOTHING is a done deal, I haven't applied for a loan, but I know what we have available based on the last house appraisal. We are just investigating. That's it......right? We don't *need* this, but I really want it. And I think my wonderful Curt does too. Crap. What the hell am I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home